Mufaro’s Beautiful Daughters (Reading Rainbow Books) retold and illustrated by John Steptoe
Mufaro was a happy man. Everyone agreed that his two daughters were very beautiful. Nyasha was kind and considerate as well as beautiful, but everyone — except Mufaro — knew that Manyara was selfish, badtempered, and spoiled.
When the king decided to take a wife and invited “The Most Worthy and Beautiful Daughters in the Land” to appear before him, Mufaro declared proudly that only the king could choose between Nyasha and Manyara. Manyara, of course, didn’t agree, and set out to make certain that she would be chosen.
John Steptoe has created a memorable modem fable of pride going before a fall, in keeping with the moral of the folktale that was his inspiration. He has illustrated it with stunning paintings that glow with the beauty, warmth, and internal vision of the land and people of his ancestors.
YAY!!! This is one of my favorite children’s books. The illustrations are gorgeous. I loved using this in a worldwide Cinderella unit.
A woman bids farewell at Paddington Station in 1942 as her child is evacuated during the Blitz - by Bert Hardy.
Agostino Brunias, Free Women of Color with their Children and Servants in a West Indian Landscape, late eighteenth century, oil on canvas (detail), from Carolyn Arena’s blog post for The Appendix: “Bellette and Yarico: Working Women in the Colonial West Indies.”
— the writer reblogs, being distracted by the internet
So, I paint my nails pretty regularly these days. I also work as a barista/cashier pretty regularly these days. A few weeks back, I had a customer come in, a fairly typical, sheltered, suburban soccer mom, and she ordered a latte from me. She saw my brightly colored nails and said, “Wow, you’re so brave! My son asked me about painting his nails, and if it’s okay for boys to do that. Now I’ll tell him there’s a cool guy who does it too!” It was a nice moment, very cute.
Then, last week, she came in again, and said, “Hey, I’m so glad you’re here! I want you to meet someone!” She then brings her son forward, and says, “Okay sweetie, show him what you did!” And he throws his hands up, showing off his bright, sparkling blue nails. He shows them off, and I show mine off to him. He smiles. We fist bump.
Guys, I’ve only wanted to cry once at work before, and that was when someone ordered a large dry soy cappuccino on ice.
This time, though. This was a good cry.
I don’t know this man or this mom, but I love them both.
You go, sir! You go!
i bet ur grateful for those tribbles now, huh captain?
Shanabeth, these are tribbles. :)
- I do not watch Sherlock just to see Benedict Cumberbatch
- I am not going to see Star Trek Into Darkness for the same reason
- I do not watch Doctor Who just to see David Tennant
- I do not watch The Avengers movies just to see Tom Hiddleston
- I do not watch the Iron Man movies just to see RDJ
- I do not watch anything just for hot guys
- I can still appreciate that they are really hot
Step 1: Step back the moment he reaches for you.
Step 2: Duck!
Step 3: Head butt him in the chin. It’s very important that it is the chin and not the chest because it is much more uncomfortable and disorienting to have your teeth bang together especially if it cuts his tongue (which it will if it is in the way). More than likely height won’t matter. He will be leaning forward from the missed attempt at grabbing you.
Step 4: Knee him in the balls.
Step 5: When he doubles over, jab him on his back. I believe at the base of the neck just above the shoulder blades would be best. I’m not an expert, but this seems like the best place, imo.
Step 6: Don’t lose contact. Bring your other hand over and slam your hands against the sides of his heads as hard as possible. Right on the ears is the best place; it is extremely disorienting if done correctly. Then take his head and bring it down on your knee as you bring your knee up. It’s very important that you avoid the nose because if you knee his nose it will definitely break and more than likely the bones will stab his brain killing him, so aim for his mouth instead.
Step 7: Keep your knee up and bring your foot out to kick him over. Personally, I don’t like the image because it looks like she kicked him with her toes. You do not want to do that. Instead kick him with the ball or heel of your foot and put power behind it with a push.
Step 8: He is on the ground. You could probably stop here and he would get the picture, but if you really want to…Your leg is still in the air from the kick. With all your force slam the edge of your your heel on his side. It will be more effective if you lower your body first by bending at the knee of the leg your weight is on. Done right, you can break a rib or two.
This is cute and thoughtful, but NOT a good way to get out of the clutches of a man who wishes to do you harm. I’ve been doing various forms of martial arts for more than 12 years, so I like to think I know a thing or two.
First of all what predator will approach you like a running Shaggy from Scooby Doo? They don’t want to give you a head’s up. Don’t think they’ll be obvious. Ducking is good, if you’re on time. Not everyone manages that. Using your head as a battering ram? Again, this will only work if you know what you’re doing; you don’t want to accidentally miss and break your nose on his jaw or chin. Kneeing someone in the balls only works if he’s very close. Very close. Most likely you’re going to have to extend your leg if you want to get to him. Keep that in mind if you want to use that move. Also keep in mind that his automatic reaction to that will be to double over. He could hit you with his head doing that. That’s one of the reasons I don’t like the move.
I can go on and on. The disorienting move with the hands against the ears is fine, if your hands are still free, that is. But there are better ones. Step number 8 and 9 are especially bad. Sure, in movies it looks cool, kicking the douchebag while he’s down. In reality can land you in jail. If your attacker is on the ground and you kick him or hit him while he’s defenseless, you can be charged and prosecuted. Because in that moment, you go from victim to attacker. I’m all for teaching women how to defend themselves, but do it the right way.
My steps for self defense:
1. If you’re alone at night and a man approaches, look around you to see if he’s brought friends. If you focus your attention on one person someone else can easily attack you in your blind spot. Tunnelvision is a dangerous thing. So make a habit of taking your surroundings in account.
2. Dress for success. That tight tube dress and those high heels may look good, but they’ll work against you when you’re trying to make a quick exit. You don’t have to sacrifice style for safety, but try to wear things that are comfortable and offer freedom of movement when needed.
3. If a man grabs you, don’t start pulling at his hands to get free. Instead, focus on the body parts that are now fully accessible to you. Punch him in the throat. It doesn’t even have to be a power shot; throats are weak. Hit him multiple times for maximum effectiveness. There’s a good chance you’ll end the struggle immediately. If not, jab at the eyes. Don’t point your fingers, use your entire hand. Multiple times. You’ve got better chances at hitting your goal that way. When you’ve got adrenaline coursing through your veins and you’re panicking, your aim tends to be off. So don’t go for the precision shots. Do not punch him in the head. Your hand will break faster than his skill. Don’t aim for the stomach either. Go for weaknesses. If his grip loosens, pull at the inside of his thumbs to get free; that’s where the leverage is.
4. Once you’re free, distance yourself from your attacker immediately. Don’t stand around to admire your handiwork or to give him another kick. Get the hell out. BUT look around first. Always decide on the quickest exit instead of just running blindly.
Extra tips for safety:
- wear multipocketed pants. Put a small cellphone in it, those super cheap ones you can only call and text with. In the event you lose your bag you can still call for help. I usually put a note of money in my pocket too; you never know when you may need it.
- Always have a pen with you. In your pocket or somewhere else you can easily reach. A metal one if possible, as they’re stronger. They can be used as a knife, without the messiness. Use on throats, hands, insides of the elbows, faces.
- Get pepper spray and take it with you at all times.
- This is not for everyone, but I have a chain around my neck that serves as a necklace and as a weapon if needed.
- Lastly: get proper self defense classes. Learn how to punch. Your thumb should always be folded over the fingers. Do not ever keep your thumb inside your fist. You’ll break your hand. Always keep your fist in line with your forearm. Your wirst is weak. If it’s not in line it can fold upon impact and you can break your wrist. Do not overextend your arm; it’s bad for your elbow. Personally I recommend Krav Maga for those who want to learn quick, effective techniques. You won’t win prizes for style, but it works.
Stay safe ladies!
I know little about self-defense, but I side-eyed this graphic. The steps below are much better advice.